Friday, August 14, 2009

Hello Again

I have had a few realizations lately:

1. I am happy with where I am at. Last year at this time I was in Oregon. I liked my church and I liked where I was living, but one of my jobs was stressful, I had no car and the days seemed to move slowly. I was so happy when my work flew me down to So Cal for a meeting, because it was a much needed break. I moved to Oregon in July and they flew me down in September. That seemed like a very long amount of time. Today, a year later, I just booked my flight for the same annual meeting. I am excited to fly out and see everyone, but I am not counting down the days. I think it is because I am happy with where I am at. I am married and with Jerry every day. We have our own amazing place. I am about to start school. I love both of my jobs. I have awesome friends. Life is great and I can’t believe were already half way through August.

2. I think I am destined to be a cartoonist wherever I go. I love it

3. I am dealing with major culture shock. Here are a few things about Missouri:
a. Everyone smokes out here. Teenagers do it out in the open too. It’s crazy
b. I overheard a girl in Chipotle ordering a quesadilla and pronounced it including the ll’s. The lunch lady at the caf called enchiladas “enchiladies”.
c. I have had debates with people whether or not Missouri is the Midwest or the South. I have figured out the answer. The north is the Midwest. St. Louis and below would be considered the South. I can say that after going to both. The cultural difference is astronomical. They call it “Missora” in the south.
d. Things seem segregated here. People of particular races hang out with their same race. I have just noticed this on campus, so I can’t over generalize for all of Missouri but it is quite obvious here.

4. A lot of people are big here. I know this is a direct link to how much people eat here, because eating is a huge part of culture out here. People will get like 3 plates of food. I have had to make it a personal goal to only get a small plate of food in the caf and to work out hard core every day. Luckily I have a wonderful husband and good friends working out with me. I have been learning tennis and I like it a lot.

5. I have grown so much in one year. I don’t say this to brag, but to show how good God is. A year ago I don’t know if I would have been brave enough to follow my heart since the ones I loved were against it. I no longer feel guilt about this; I no longer feel anxiety about this. I now feel I am where I am supposed to be. God is good.

6. Jer and I have been playing guitar together lately. We want to sing and play guitar at a local java joint. I also want to get back into doing art again.

7. Church is different out here. Hokey is the best way to describe it. But I have learned a lot from a different atmosphere. My pastor brought up a good point about the church. First he showed us that the Lord’s Prayer does not have first person pronouns, it is inclusive to everyone. Our Father, Give us. Were in this together, our relationship with the Lord is not only personal but is meant to be a community relationship. Our pastor also brought up the point that our patience is developed by those who frustrate us, mercy by those who need it from us. What better place to develop this than the church? J It made me laugh but it was a good point and it was a good reminder that though this church is different from what I am used to, it is a great place for me to be at this junction in my walk.

8. Last but not least. I am blessed. I have amazing friends all over the world. Jer is amazing. We have been doing devotionals together and praying together every night. It is so neat to do this as husband and wife. I love where I am at. God is so good.

2 comments:

.heidi.noelle. said...

Em, it is great to hear where you are and how you are. Makes me beam with a "family" type pride for you. Love you dearly. ~H

Steph said...

sounds awesome emily :)

your midwest/south observations hit home a little... EVERYBODY smoked where i was too - just a fact of life i guess. and... most people were over weight. it would be interesting to do a study on that. people are SOO racist there... a little disheartening (sp?)

anyway... i'm so glad you are loving life. God IS good :)

...your gift just made it's way to me... and will be on it's way to you. i'm shooting for the latest wedding present ever award!