Friday, January 9, 2009

Do Everything as Unto the Lord

I know that work has been struggling financially for awhile....I mean when you are a Christian Non Profit reliant solely on donations; you are going to be affected majorly by a bad economy. I knew that we were doing some major cut backs and had a feeling the job cuts were next. Today it became a reality. 7 of my co workers were laid off, 1/5 of our office. I think our whole office feels it more than most would because we are truly like a family. I thought that I would certainly be among them, since part of my job title includes the word "assistant", but God spared my job.

From what it sounds like, my boss cut back in some major areas to keep my job. I am so thankful and feel so undeserving. I am so thankful to have a job, yet I feel guilty in a sense...7 of my dear friends are jobless. I empathetically ache for them.

We were told that these would be the only cutbacks in the foreseeable future. I pray that is the case. This has been a big wake up call for me in a few ways. I have decided that I am not spending anything more until I am at a surplus with my savings. I will be debt free (minus student loans) by April because I do not want to have that in case anything else was to happen.
I also am going to do all that I can to improve upon my work ethic. It isn't that I have a poor one; I actually think I have a good one. But I want to have the best work ethic.

This morning as I was walking to work God put that verse "Do everything as Unto the Lord" in my head. I prayed and told Him I would strive to do that in work today. It is amazing how He prepares our hearts.

In happier news, I found out that as soon as I get accepted in Grad School, Jerry's boss will speed up the hiring process so he can hire me in res life. I am so excited. It is part time so I can still work for Open Doors, but I will also be working in my dream job :) I will be going to school full time as well. I am really excited!!!

3 comments:

Ted said...

When things are good give him praise.
When things are bad give him praise.
One of the hardest things I've learned. I see you too have caught on. Inspiring. Be the rock Emil. For when you can't turn to it. And Jer and Corri they aren't to bad at helping too.

Kent said...

i would but...with who? money? these are all of the legitimate questions that i seriously ponder...is your weddin' gun' be down in orange county? i would imagine so, just but askin'

Rachel said...

Nice, Em! I didn't even know you had a blog. Love the "Person of the Week" thing. That's so awesome. Do you mind if DeepQuestions.net steals that idea? DeepQuestion.netter of the week. I think it would be fabulous.